Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Seven Weeks and Dr. Sardi visit

Well, I went to see Dr. Sardi on Friday. He and his team continue to say that I am doing well. The pathology confirmed that I do have the least aggressive type of appendix cancer. This means that I don’t have to have additional chemo. Now we are in watch and wait mode. I’ll have a baseline CT scan and tumor markers taken in about six weeks. After that, I’ll be checked every six months to make sure there is no recurrence. Dr. Sardi said his longest survivor is at 15 years. So that is encouraging. There is a survivor celebration this summer and Dr. Sardi invited me… or should I say insisted that I be there. Family members too. It sounds like a big deal. If you want to learn more about the types of appendix cancer you can check out the link on the blog called “PMP Awareness.”

Today is seven weeks. I am feeling stronger and I’ve started doing some light housework as well as cooking. It feels good to be doing something other than reading, watching TV, or sleeping! I am continuing to have pain and Nick, Dr. Sardi’s PA, thinks it is probably related to the rib retraction during surgery. He says it will eventually go away. I’ll believe it when it happens. I’m hoping I just wake up one day and there isn’t any pressure! My hands are still numb as well. That is probably the hardest thing to deal with at this point as I drop things a lot and I’m not able to open pill bottles, or button shirts, or put in earrings (at least not easily). Good thing Mike is such a great caretaker! I’m getting ready to do Christmas cards and I’m wondering if folks will be able to read my writing. Well, if you get a card and you can’t read it, it might be from us!

I am still on track to return to work around February 1. Like I told Dr. Sardi, I can’t imagine that I’ll feel like working based on how I feel now. We’ll see.

I’ll continue to update the blog on a weekly basis for now. I’d love to hear from you, so leave a comment or give me a call.

That’s all for now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs. Price,

Glad to hear you're doing better!

--your problem with droping things isnt that bad; my friends & I drop numerous things and supposedly we're perfectly fine!!

--I'm really sorry that you have to get so many CT scans; they really suck (in my opinion)!

--We truly miss you in class. Bethany & I were sitting in class just stating how much we missed you (multiple times in 10 minutes).

--The only reason my sister hasn't wrote to you is because she doesn't really get on the computer that often. She also misses you tremendously. All she does in 4th mod now is read and talk; she doesn't really get to do anything.

--EVERYONE misses you undoubtly!

--Hope to see you -really- soon!

--)----Missy-----(--

Lindsey said...

Its great to hear that you are recovering well, and we are so happy to hear of the good diagnosis! Thank goodness for no chemotherapy--you will feel much better much sooner without it ;)

Keep strong, it sounds like you are doing great! We're familiar with the frustration with the hands, stick with it, they do get better!

If you have any info about the survivor celebration could you email me? Doug and I would love to attend as well!

Best wishes for you and your family to have a happy and HEALTHY holidays!
Lindsey and Doug :)

Anonymous said...

hey Mrs. Price

i promise that this wont be an entire letter.

I'm just saying Merry Christmas!!

--Missy--