Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Greeting. I must apologize for not making a posting last week, especially after I said I'd do a weekly update. As it was Christmas, we stayed very busy. We got to spend some quality time with family. Mike and I decided not to decorate much (no tree), as he is scheduled to have knee surgery for a meniscus tear on January 15. That would leave neither of us in shape to do the un-trimming! Since we got to see Carrie and Keith's tree, and my mom and dad's tree, we were in the Christmas spirit.

Our children and their wonderful spouses surprised us with a blu-ray disc player. You have got to see the picture to believe how much different it is from the traditional DVD. It was a perfect gift for someone recovering from surgery. We are definitely going to enjoy.

As for New Year's eve, we are planning on staying right here and relaxing. Did you hear the wind blowing out there? The blu-ray is cranked and ready. We are going to watch Cars.

OK, I am doing very well. My pain level has decreased--I am completely off the pain meds. Although the pain is still there, it is definitely less than just last week. My breathing has improved. For the first time since surgery, I can inhale deeply without a stabbing pain in my back. I guess the biggest problem is still my hands. They remain numb and I drop things a lot. I am just hoping it will eventually improve as other patients of Dr. Sardi have indicated. In the next few weeks I have to have the filter removed that was installed to prevent pulmonary blood clots. And, at the end of January, I am supposed to return to work. I still don't feel up to that! Maybe with continued improvement I'll be ready. I do miss work, co-workers, and students!

Our appliances are conspiring against us. I was feeling like I could bake a batch or two of cookies and got out the ingredients to give it a try one morning before Christmas. My oven decided not to cooperate. It turns out we have to get a new oven--and it won't be installed until next week. (I don't recomment Maytag--this oven was on its third five hundred dollar timer!) So no cookies! However, Carrie and neighbors supplied us with some goodies. The garbage disposal then went beserk. We had to call a plumber and now it's working again--but who knows for how long.

You'll see from the posting made by Mike that I ordered a quilt hanger for the 4th mod quilt (see earlier posting). It's now hanging in the family/TV room. Posing with me in the photo is White White (aka Schneewittchen). She thinks it's her room. Schneewittchen means Snow White in German. I happened to be studying German when we acquired her. It seemed a perfectly fitting name. No one, including the vet's staff, can pronounce it though and this led to much confusion. So, she became White White, to which she answers happily. The quilt is beautiful and I will always cherish it. Thank you 4th mod. Hope you are all doing well as the semester draws to a close. I hope you will stop and visit me when I return to school.

Missy, thanks for your updates and good wishes. You are so consistent and I love reading your notes. Can't wait to see you in a few weeks. Hello to Becky and all your classmates too.

Lindsey and Doug, I hope you have had a very pleasant, relaxing, and HEALTHY holiday. It's good to know I can expect continued improvement. I hope, Doug, that things are going well for you. My family is anxious to hear how you are doing... you have been a real inspiration. I'll be sure to let you know about the survivor celebration. We'd like to meet both of you.

Here's hoping that 2009 is good to all of us. Be safe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there!!
Glad to hear you like reading my notes...even though they're more like letters!!
Sorry, I dont really have any more updates right now since it's christmas break!!
I'll always be wishing you well and wishing to have you back as a teacher!!
I'm really excited to see you again but it will be sad that you wont be my teacher. Can I be one of your student aids next year? (I know how much of a problem it would be...but just consider it) :)
Becky says hi!!! She really misses you too!! but we both are really excited to see you again!!!!!!!!

~You're still in our prayers~

~~Missy~~

Diana said...

Missy, So you should be back at school this week. Hope all is well. Just wanted to let you know I read your latest note. Also, that I'd love it if you are my aid next year. Be sure to tell guidance that you want to be my aid so they don't give you to someone else!

Hi to Becky too.

Be good!

Mrs. P