Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Week Eleven

The report this week is good. I'm still improving and feeling a little stronger every day. On Friday, 1/9, I had a procedure performed at Mercy to remove the IVC filter that was installed to prevent blood clots from reaching my lungs after surgery. This is a persistent problem that Dr. Sardi has addressed by requiring his patients to have the IVC filter placed prior to surgery. He says it has prevented a lot of problems after surgery. IVC stands for inferior vena cava. It's the vein that brings the blood supply from your legs to your heart. Here is a website to help explain: http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/dc/tp/ivcftr.jsp

The removal went smoothly. Removing the IVC filter takes longer than putting it in. Something like 30 minutes to put it in and 40 to 50 minutes to take it out. Then you have to lie still for an hour to make sure the vein doesn't bleed. My filter looked similar to the one on this link: http://members.tripod.com/Daryl_D/08079906.html

I'm not a person who likes to dwell on things medical. I do feel better though, if I understand the procedure I'm having. I don't like to be surprised by what is going to happen to me. I think it makes for better recovery if you aren't thrown for a loop. That's one reason I include these little links.

I'm beginning to prepare for returning to work in February. At this point I am looking at part-time for a short period. It is a little scary to contemplate. I know I need to put myself back on a schedule. And even though I know I need rest, I feel guilty for just getting up whenever I feel like it. That's not good prep for work!

So here's my goal for this week: Get myself on a schedule. I also get to repay Mike for taking care of me, as he has his knee surgery Thursday. It is supposed to be out-patient and he should back in business with-in days. I'll let you know.

Try to stay warm... the weather forecast for the weekend is COLD.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this weekend was very cold!!! We have a long break from school so it's really nice for us!

It really sucks that you wont be my teacher. I'm looking forward to seeing you again!!! & of course so is my sister.

I hope Mike's operation goes well. Wow, I think your family is getting close to my family's medical problems (if we weigh them out but who really wants to do that?)

I don't see how you could stay still for an entire hour.....but i'm guessing thats just because i'm hyper right now.(i think that coffee i had is starting 2 kick in) so sorry if this is spastic or random or anything else.

So before I type something completely stupid....I'll just say that you are still in our prayers....and we cant wait to see you again!

1st symester is over!!!YAY! well...yay that i dont have english any more. I'm going to miss your class a lot.

I guess I'll see you when you come back.
~Missy~

Diana said...

Counting down the days Missy. It won't be long before I return to school and I can't wait to see you. Unfortunate that I won't have your class any longer, but I am counting on you coming to see me and bringing Becky!

Miss you.

Mrs. P